Pancetta-wrapped asparagus with lemon and garlic dressingThe British asparagus season is short but you can of course buy it in if you don’t yet have it in the garden. Quick, simple, yet a dish fit for kings as a sophisticated looking starter or with some special bread for lunch. Serves four.
- 24 thin asparagus spears with the woody ends removed
- 8 rashers of thinly sliced Pancetta, or rashers of thinly sliced smoked bacon
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 handful of very finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus some extra for cooking
- Salt and pepper
- Salad leaves to serve
- Shaved parmesan (optional)
Wrap three asparagus spears tightly in one slice of Pancetta, winding it along the length to make sure the whole asparagus is well covered in the Pancetta, right to the tip.