Asparagus beds will benefit from some well-rotted farmyard manure or stable manure if you have it.
If you have a warm greenhouse you can sow small salad crops in mid January and plant well sprouted potatoes in frames and pots under glass.
- Sow broad beans and peas in succession in a warm, sheltered position towards the end of the month
- Try making a hot bed with manure or grow cauliflowers, radishes and other early crops in a warm, south-facing position.
- Use cloches for protection
- Start lettuces every two weeks in succession
- Sow indoors or in a heated greenhouse or frame at about 13°C (55°F) lettuce, early cabbage, cauliflower, mustard, cress.
- Plant rhubarb in well manure, deeply dug soil
- Sow French beans under glass for forcing, in a greenhouse in a heated propagator