A treat using fresh broad beans as soon as they are ready, probably later in May, early June,and for a short time. Of course you can do this dish at any time with frozen broad beans, but that’s not quite the same is it? This serves 6.
- 2kg/4lb leg of lamb
- 4 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 250ml/8fl oz chicken stock
- 500g/1lb broad beans (shelled weight)
- 2 tsp thyme, freshly chopped
- Roast, boiled new potatoes or other potatoes and garden vegetables of your choice.
With a sharp end of a knife make slits in the lamb and insert the garlic slivers. Give the meat a rub with salt and pepper and place on a rack in a roasting tin. Pour over the oil and roast in a moderate oven at 180°C/350°F (adjust for fan ovens) or gas mark 4 for one and a half hours or until cooked, basting occasionally. Meanwhile, mix the egg yolks, lemon juice and stock together in a bowl. Cook the broad beans in boiling, salted water for 10 to 15 minutes or until just tender and drain well.