- Sow hellebores from seed taken from flower before they dry and split
- Grow tender flowers in pots and containers - pelargoniums, marguerites and petunias, you can take them indoors in October for putting out next year.
- Train climbers: especially roses, vines
- Cut back aubrietias, arabis and perennial candytuft
- Sow Brompton stocks and forget-me-nots
- Lift and divide June flowering irises
- Start to bud roses later in the month
- Sow wallflowers, sweet Williams, Iceland poppies
- Place pot grown chrysanthemums outside
- Trim hedges
- Dig up self sown seedlings to plant elsewhere or give away
- Deadhead roses to encourage more flowers in late summer
- Take cuttings of sage and rosemary
The Gardener's Journal is a free monthly gardening guide delivered direct to your inbox.
Each month, receive tips on the top jobs needed in your garden as well as a wealth of information on a range of gardening topics. From sowing seeds to picking fruit, each month get access to information on the care and maintenance of your flowerbeds, vegetable plot and lawn. As with your own gardening diary, the journal is split into separate sections, each covering a different area of garden care.