A lot to be getting on with...
February is the month you can plant Jerusalem artichokes at the earliest opportunity and the hardy plant will reward you with a tasty base for many menus.
There is a lot to be getting on with in the vegetable garden early in the month. It’s all about sowing as each week goes by, both in the greenhouse or heated frame or outdoors.
- Sow hardy variety peas in a sheltered spot
- Sow broad beans in boxes or pots and germinate in a heated greenhouse or frame
- Sow lettuces, peas and cauliflowers in seed boxes to germinate in along with the broad beans
- Lift and store parsnips, sow parsnips outdoors
- Plant out spring cabbages, plant shallots, chives, autumn sown onions
- Plant potatoes in a sheltered border
- In late February sow turnips, early celery, French beans for succession, main crop tomatoes, melons, cucumbers