The Gardener's Journal is a free monthly gardening guide delivered direct to your inbox.
Each month, receive tips on the top jobs needed in your garden as well as a wealth of information on a range of gardening topics. From sowing seeds to picking fruit, each month get access to information on the care and maintenance of your flowerbeds, vegetable plot and lawn. As with your own gardening diary, the journal is split into separate sections, each covering a different area of garden care.
Tuesday, 3 February 2015
Are you ready?
May the force be with you
If you’re looking for a project this month why not build some raised vegetable beds? The soil in these warms quickly and drainage is good, ideal for seeding especially if you’re on heavy clay. Covering beds with black plastic sheets also keeps them drier and warmer ready for spring seeding.
Venison Bangers and Butterbean Crush
- 1lb (450g) venison sausages
- A dessertspoonful of olive oil
- 8oz (225g) diced streaky bacon or pancetta
- 1 large garlic clove peeled
- 8oz (225g) shallots peeled
- A dessertspoonful of juniper berries
- 10 fl oz (275ml) red wine
- A teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves