Hoe, hoe, hoe
Continue your succession sowing this month and you will have vegetables right through into the autumn. You can sow carrot, turnips, beetroot, spinach, radishes, Brussels sprouts, lettuces, peas, parsnips, broad beans, leeks and broccoli, summer cabbages and cauliflowers.
Sow and plant asparagus – beds can take some years to develop but you could be reaping the benefit for many years ahead.
Why not grow French beans in pots and if you didn’t sow peas in March you can sow at three weekly intervals until early June with a first-early variety. Early variety leeks can be sown in the greenhouse. For your winter greens now is the time to sow Christmas Savoy cabbages, Brussels sprouts and cauliflowers.
- Sow all the herbs you need
- Support peas with pea sticks
- Broad beans shouldn’t need support
- Sow vegetable seeds listed above directly into the ground or in pots for planting out
- Sow half-hardies such as courgettes or marrows under cloches at the end of April
- Sow ridge cucumbers under glass
- Plant main crop potatoes
- Transplant tomatoes sown in a heated greenhouse