Pick and Mix
Keep watering during dry spells, particularly root vegetables and those you have transplanted such as the brassicas.
Broccoli, ridge cucumbers, tomatoes and marrows all need plenty of water. You can start blanching endive and continue blanching leeks and celery. Sow some fast growing lettuces such as ‘Little Gem’ and ‘Tom Thumb’. Dig up early potatoes and dry for next year’s seeding.
- Clear out spent cucumbers grown in frames
- Sow winter spinach in a sheltered place
- Sow cauliflower, corn salad, endive, land cress, radishes, red cabbage, spinach, turnips
- Harvest shallots
- Sow stump rooted carrots and turnips
- Earth up maincrop celery
- Dry herbs
- Prune summer-fruiting raspberries