Hoeing in the wind
Thin onion and turnip beds and cut down asparagus foliage. Hoe out weeds in beds and once they are cleared of vegetables turn the soil to leave it exposed to the frosts and you can get a good tilth for next spring. Lift any remaining carrots, beetroot and turnips. Protect soft fruit with a fruit cage.
- Cut back yellow leaves and stems of artichokes
- Protect late crops with cloches and horticultural fleece
- Store turnips in a frost free place
- Prune blackcurrants when the leaves turn colour
- Store vegetables in boxes of compost
- Start garlic cloves in pots under glass