Roasted Jersey Royal SaladRoasted Jersey Royal potatoes with spring herb, hazelnut and bacon salad and lemon brown butter dressing.
- 1kg jersey royals or other waxy new potatoes, scrubbed, halved if large
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g (around 9-10 rashers) British free-range streaky bacon, chopped into thirds
- 75g blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 100g watercress
- Small bunch each fresh basil, mint (leaves picked) and chives (snipped in half)
- 150g radishes, quartered
For the dressing
- 75g unsalted butter
- Large splash extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice ½-1 lemon
1) Get the oven up to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 while you toss the potatoes in the olive oil and spread over the base of a large roasting tin so they aren’t crowded. Season well with salt and pepper, and roast for 30 minutes. Scatter the bacon over the top, then roast for another 20 minutes. Scatter over the hazelnuts and return to the oven for another 5-8 minutes. The potatoes should be shrivelled on the outside and fluffy in the centre, the bacon crisp and the hazelnuts golden. Leave in the oven, heat off, to keep warm.
2) Pop the watercress, herbs and radishes in a large bowl and make the dressing by heating a small, heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat, then gently melt the butter with some sea salt. Turn up the heat to bring the butter to a bubble and cook until it turns golden brown and smells nutty. Remove from the heat and add the oil, garlic and the juice of ½ lemon – it will sizzle. Cool slightly, taste – add the remaining lemon juice if it needs to be sharper.
3) Quickly now, tip the potato mixture into the salad bowl, drizzle over the hot butter dressing (if you’d like a less pungent dressing, strain the butter to remove the garlic first). Toss well, taste one of the leaves and season if necessary. Serve immediately.
This month’s recipe is courtesy of Delicious Magazine.