Get sowing now!
The is the month to get sowing seed outdoors in well-prepared soil: Sow spinach, carrots, turnips, radishes, kohl rabi, lettuces, spring onion, summer cabbages, cauliflowers, leeks, beetroot, spinach, pickling onion.
In late April sow endive, globe beetroot, runner beans, marrows, cucumbers and broad beans. Follow the instructions on seed packets. Give celery a good start by preparing trenches with well-rotted manure or decayed vegetable mix with the soil, ready for planting in June.
- Make successional sowings of lettuce and spinach
- Sow seed indoors of marrow, courgettes, sweet peppers, tomatoes, aubergines, cucumbers, celery, celeriac, pumpkins, squash
- Sow maincrop carrots, sprouting broccoli, cauliflowers, cabbages in a seedbed
- Plant shallots, onion sets and garlic
- Plant pot grown fruit trees and bushes
- Liquid feed fruit trees in pots every fortnight