The big freeze
Out of the garden come the beans, Brussels sprouts, peas, petit pois, broccoli, sweet corn – washed and into freezer bags in batches for when you need them.
The freshest convenient foods and all your five a days in an instant. Don’t forget you can freeze herbs as well as drying them. Other vegetables to lift and store will be maincrop onions, potatoes any remaining beetroot and carrots and while you’re out there you can be thinning out vegetable seedlings such as spinach beet, winter spinach, lettuce and endive you sowed in August. You didn’t? No matter you can sow some lettuce, endive and radishes in unheated frames for a continued supply.
- Plant autumn onion sets for next year harvest in June to July
- Cut squashes, marrows and pumpkins when full size and season in sunshine
- Clear maincrop onion beds, fertilise and transplant spring cabbages
- Sow French beans for forcing in an unheated greenhouse
- Continue earthing up celery
- Clean out the greenhouse and cold frames
- Pick autumn raspberries