- Put in the main crop of runner beans and find a warm spot for French beans
- Sow late broccoli, peas for August, parsley and chervil
- Cut asparagus (second or even third year from established beds)
- Sow maincrop beetroot
- Plant out winter greens that are hardened off – cauliflower, Brussels sprouts
- Harvest carrots and potatoes grown under polythene or glass
- Sow dwarf beans, Chinese cabbage, chicory, sweet corn
- Prick out winter greens in mid may onwards
- Prick off and plant celery
- Pot and harden off aubergines and capsicums
The Gardener's Journal is a free monthly gardening guide delivered direct to your inbox.
Each month, receive tips on the top jobs needed in your garden as well as a wealth of information on a range of gardening topics. From sowing seeds to picking fruit, each month get access to information on the care and maintenance of your flowerbeds, vegetable plot and lawn. As with your own gardening diary, the journal is split into separate sections, each covering a different area of garden care.