What about planting fruit trees and bushes for show as well as for fruit? If you have room in addition to bush apples, pears, plums and cherries, what about some standards of these, and try espalier trained apples and pears as well as fan-trained plums, cherries, peaches, nectarines and apricots.
If you have grown leeks and they have benefitted from a good frost, lift some and keep them in a bucket of compost in a shed or cold greenhouse until you need them, they will last for months. You can grow longpod variety broad beans from seed in a sheltered position if you don’t have a warm greenhouse in which to germinate them in February.
- Lift and store Jerusalem artichokes, parsnips, horseradish and salsify
- Lift seakale and chicory for forcing
- Force rhubarb
- Plant fruit trees and bushes
- Under glass try carrots, onions and radishes in frames for early crops
- Sow under glass: French beans, lettuces, mustard and cress