Puy lentil, red onion, tomato and sundried tomato salad with feta cheese, for two
A bit of a mouthful and it is just that and very tasty. The recipe comes from two sources, Ainsley Harriot’s Barbecue Bible and Delicious Magazine, with the twist of using the ready cooked lentils that come in a vacuum pouch.
• 1 large red onion finely chopped
• 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp red wine vinegar
• 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar to taste
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 200g – 225g Puy lentils ready prepared
• 100g (4oz) feta cheese, crumbled
• 50g (2oz) of sun dried tomatoes, chopped
• 2-3 cherry tomatoes, quartered, from your garden (or bought)
• 3 tbs flat leaf parsley
• Salt & freshly ground pepper
• A little grated lemon zest (optional)
• A squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
In a salad bowl simply mix all the prepared ingredients together, cover with cling film and pop in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Chef’s tip: if you can’t get the vacuum packed lentils use dried Puy lentils cooked in a pan with a bay leaf, a whole peeled garlic clove, the red wine vinegar, pinch of caster sugar and a little salt. Cover with 1.2 litres (2 pints) of water, bring to the boil, simmer for about 25 minutes until tender, drain and cool before mixing the salad together.
Image courtesy Delicious Magazine