For the roasted cauliflower
- ½ head white cauliflower
- ½ head romanesco cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2cm/1in piece fresh root ginger, grated
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 5 fresh or dried curry leaves
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground fenugreek
- 2 green chillies
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm/1in cubes
- 450g/1lb baby spinach leaves, washed
- 250g/8oz tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- squeeze lemon juice
Steamed basmati rice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- For the cauliflower, break the two cauliflowers into bite-sized florets and place into a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, mixing until well combined. Roast for 20 minutes, or until golden-brown and tender.
- For the vegetable curry, heat the ghee, or oil, in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the onion for 2-3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the ginger, mustard seeds, curry leaves, turmeric, fenugreek, whole green chillies and chilli powder. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mustard seeds pop and become aromatic. Add the potatoes and stir to coat in the spices.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach leaves, sugar and 55ml/2fl oz water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the roasted cauliflower florets into the curry and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to taste.
- To serve, remove and discard the whole green chillies. Serve the curry alongside steamed basmati rice.